We’re facing some extraordinary circumstances right now. At such times, it pays to evaluate your financial picture. Does it have enough green in it? If not, you can improve the result by taking a few practical steps…some can become a long-term part of your lifestyle, others you can do right now.
20 Tips for 2020
1. Use your Royal Neighbors Member Savings Card.1
2. Eat in, not out.
3. Use coupons and send in for rebates.
4. Increase your contribution to your 401(k) to the max allowed.
5. “Bottle” your change every night before bed.
6. Turn your thermostat down in the winter and up in the summer.
7. Cancel unused club/organization memberships.
8. Use your local library for books and DVDs.
9. Take a shopping list to the grocery store – and stick to it.
10. Take advantage of customer rewards programs – those points can add up.
11. Try out generic brands – you may like them better.
12. Balance your checkbook.
13. Coordinate your errands to use less gas.
14. Purchase energy efficient appliances when replacement time comes.
15. Review the maintenance or service fees at your bank or credit union.
16. Wait a week before making an expensive or impulse purchase – you just might change your mind.
17. Wait for movies to hit DVD or streaming sites instead of paying theater prices.
18. Begin tracking your daily expenses.
19. Declare a few “no-spend” weekends – consider one per month.
20. Do your holiday shopping all year long to take advantage of sales.
1Member savings are provided at the discretion of Royal Neighbors of America and are not available in all states. Health discount programs are not insurance, are not intended to replace health insurance, and cannot be used in conjunction with health insurance benefits. It provides discounts only at the offices of contracted health care providers, and each member is obligated to pay the discounted medical charges in full at the point of service. Due to state regulations, residents of Washington may access only legal and retail and travel savings. Insurance or annuity products should not be purchased for eligibility or maintenance of nonguaranteed member savings opportunities. Life insurance and annuity products should only be purchased if they meet the financial needs of the applicant. Member savings are administered by a third party and are subject to change without notice.
This article is for informational purposes only, you should not construe any information provided as legal, tax, investment, or financial advice. No reader should make any investment decision without first consulting his or her own financial advisor and conducting his or her own research and due diligence.
TRN00004; Rev. 3-2020